ANECCA received a grant from the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria to implement a regional project on “Catalyzing Access to quality services for Children and Adolescents living with HIV”. This regional project provides a unique opportunity to capitalize on pediatric and adolescent expertise across the continent to address disparities in access to care and treatment for children and adolescents. The project is being implemented in 7 African countries i.e. Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Nigeria and Malawi.
ANECCA has implemented major activities in all the seven countries since the start of the project and these include;
- Initiated regional and national stakeholder engagement on Paediatric and Adolescent HIV care, treatment and support.
- Reviewed national policies and guidelines for paediatric and adolescent HIV care in 7 countries in Africa
- Developed an African Region Position Paper on paediatric and adolescent HIV care and treatment.
- Trained health care providers in Paediatric and adolescent HIV care, treatment and support
- Supported HIV infected children, adolescents, health workers, and social workers to share evidence and experiences on HIV care/support and treatment at national meetings